backing up with rsync



This is my OLD blog. I've copied this post over to my NEW blog at:

http://www.saltycrane.com/blog/2007/08/backing-up-with-rsync/

You should be redirected in 2 seconds.



Here is a python script using rsync to backup my Users directory in Vista to an external hard drive.
import os

cmd = "rsync -avz --exclude '/AppData/'" + \
      "/cygdrive/c/Users/sofeng" + \
      "/cygdrive/f/backup/Users"
os.system(cmd)
Why not to use the backup program that comes with your external hard drive:
Do not, whatever you do, feed your valuable data to a program that is going to save it in a file format that can only be read by that program, or by that kind of computer. Because when the program can’t or the computer can’t, you’re out of options. --Tim Bray, Protecting Your Data
Why to use rsync: rsync -essh -rtpvz rocks. --Mark Pilgrim, Essentials

No comments:

About

This is my *OLD* blog. I've copied all of my posts and comments over to my NEW blog at:

http://www.saltycrane.com/blog/.

Please go there for my updated posts. I will leave this blog up for a short time, but eventually plan to delete it. Thanks for reading.