How to scroll in GNU Screen



This is my OLD blog. I've copied this post over to my NEW blog at:

http://www.saltycrane.com/blog/2008/01/how-to-scroll-in-gnu-screen/

You should be redirected in 2 seconds.



GNU Screen is great. But, after half a year of using it, I've only now figured out how to scroll into screen's buffer (courtesy of this tutorial). Normally, I just use SHIFT+PGUP to scroll up in urxvt's buffer. However, if I have two regions in screen, this doesn't work. To scroll in screen's buffer, I need to enter "copy mode". To do this, type C-a [ or C-a ESC. (The latter options works great for me because I bound the prefix key to the backtick key instead of C-a.) Once in "copy mode", I can scroll using the arrow keys or PGUP/PGDOWN keys. To exit "copy mode", I press ESC. Scrolling within screen's buffer instead of urxvt's also prevents me from losing my place in my scrollback buffer when I switch screen "windows" (terminal sessions).

Other notes:

  • C-a S splits into two regions
  • C-a tab switches input focus to the next region
  • C-a X kills the current region
  • C-a :resize numlines resizes the current region to numlines lines.

No comments:

About

This is my *OLD* blog. I've copied all of my posts and comments over to my NEW blog at:

http://www.saltycrane.com/blog/.

Please go there for my updated posts. I will leave this blog up for a short time, but eventually plan to delete it. Thanks for reading.