Recommended Books



This is my OLD blog. I've copied this post over to my NEW blog at:

http://www.saltycrane.com/blog/2008/04/recommended-books/

You should be redirected in 2 seconds.



I love having a subscription to Safari Books Online. Currently my company provides a free subscription, but if I get a new job, I might consider subscribing myself. Since I get to browse a number of books at no cost, I thought I'd note which books are my favorites. (Note, I am not being paid by Safari Books Online.)


General Software
  • Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs, Second Edition, Harold Abelson and Gerald Jay Sussman, MIT Press, ?year?
    I learned about this book through a job posting. It might bring you to tears if you get it. I'm only in the second chapter. It is used in an introductory Computer Science course at MIT. It uses Scheme (Lisp) to demonstrate concepts.
    Available free online at: http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book-Z-H-4.html
    A free video lecture series is also available.

C
  • The C Programming Language, Second Edition, Brian W. Kernighan and Dennis M. Ritchie, Prentice Hall, 1988
    The definitive C book.

Python
  • Core Python Programming, Second Edition, Wesley J. Chun, Prentice Hall, September 18, 2006
    Usually I like O'Reilly books best, but I slightly prefer Chun's text to Learning Python.
    Available at Safari Books Online

Django (Python)
  • The Django Book, Apress, December 2007
    I think this is the first official Django book.
    Available free online at: http://www.djangobook.com/

SQLite
  • The Definitive Guide to SQLite, Mike Owens, Apress, May 2006
    I browsed a few SQL books but liked this one better than most. It has a good theory section.
    Available at Apress.com

Linux or related
  • X Power Tools, Chris Tyler, O'Reilly, December 15, 2007
    Lots of good information on the X Window System and more; easy to understand. I wish the basic Ubuntu or Linux books had some of this information.
    Available at Safari Books Online

Ruby

No comments:

About

This is my *OLD* blog. I've copied all of my posts and comments over to my NEW blog at:

http://www.saltycrane.com/blog/.

Please go there for my updated posts. I will leave this blog up for a short time, but eventually plan to delete it. Thanks for reading.